Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Rare Adelaide Hanscom illustrations from 1905 Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Several years ago I saw this book at a rummage sale. I knew it was something special and purchased it. They pictures are so unusual. Thinking it might be of interesting for the bumble button.I looked into the illustrator. Well...it turns out this book is a real treasure. The book was in wonderful condition when purchased. I wish I had done my research before scanning the pictures. The book began to fall apart. Then I just pulled it apart for easier scanning. Now I am just sick over what I did.This book is a rare 1905 1st edition. Adelaide lived from 1875 to 1931 and is one of the first, if not the first, to use photographs for literary illustration.
I encourage you to  read more about this remarkable creative woman. Below are some links to learn more about her.
The pictures are quite different from what I have come across so they may only appeal to a few of you. If you like them, what an amazing collection to work with. Much love, Louise
    

4 comments:

Numinosity said...

What a treasure indeed and you sacrificed it for other artists it seems. Thank you for sharing. I've seen nothing like it.
xoxo Kim

Anonymous said...

see maxfield parish (artist) on which these are based

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful! I just discovered your blog and find every entry to be fascinating and lovely. I'm glad you decided to post these images even though they are a bit different from the images you normally post. What an exciting treasure.

Julie said...

You are fortunate to have this; all of the original negatives were destroyed in the San Francisco earthquake and reproductions were made and do exist but originals are sparse. The cover is exquisite.